ENGELIN TEH PRACTICE LLC
||1 Coleman Street
||(65) 6224 9933
||(65) 6226 1234
Engelin Teh Practice LLC ('ETP LLC') has an extensive litigation practice, headed by Senior Counsel Engelin Teh.
ETP LLC's practice encompasses corporate litigation (including schemes of arrangement, minority oppression, shareholders' disputes and breach of fiduciary duties), banking litigation (with emphasis on enforcement of bank securities, letter of credit disputes, banker and customer disputes including those arising out of private banking relationship), commercial transactions, both international and domestic, including all types of commercial and contractual disputes, employment issues, receivership, judicial management and insolvency (both individual and corporate), building and construction disputes, matrimonial and family disputes, tortious claims (including professional negligence and defamation), equity and trusts, probate and administration of estates, intellectual property disputes (breach of trademark, passing off and infringement of patent), motor accident claims and debt collection.
Lawyers: Engelin Teh, Vijay Kumar Rai, Thomas Sim, Mark Yeo, Linda Ong, Lee Xiancong Jenson
DIVORCE & FAMILY MATTERS
ETP LLC has a dedicated team of lawyers specialising in divorce matters. We handle cross boundaries disputes, assets tracing, complex issues on custody of children, claims on matrimonial assets and maintenance.
Our lawyers are trained to provide special care and attention to the sensitive and emotional issues often associated with divorce matters.
Our client's interest is paramount and with our extensive experience in matrimonial matters, we are able to advise and prepare our clients not just for litigation but also for mediation of matrimonial disputes with a view to avoiding an emotionally draining court case and legal costs.
Lawyers: Engelin Teh, Linda Ong, Lee Xiancong Jenson
ARBITRATION & DISPUTE RESOLUTION
Our arbitration team has extensive experience in arbitration work, both local and international. Our arbitration practice spans a wide range of industries with different lawyers specialising in various industry sectors.
Apart from acting as counsel in arbitrations, our Ms Engelin Teh, SC is also a qualified arbitrator on the panel of International Chamber of Commerce, Singapore International Arbitration Centre, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators, and Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration.
Our lawyers advise and prepare our clients, both local and international, for mediation of disputes involving a diverse range of issues, including commercial claims, family matters and partnership disputes. Our Ms Engelin Teh SC is herself an accredited mediator with the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution, Singapore Mediation Centre, Regent's University London and National Electricity Market of Singapore (Mediation Panel).
Lawyers: Engelin Teh, Thomas Sim, Mark Yeo, Linda Ong, Lee Xiancong Jenson
CORPORATE & COMMERCIAL
Our corporate department comprises a dedicated team of lawyers with extensive experience and skills in handling a wide variety of corporate and commercial matters, both local and international.
Our team advises on and undertakes the following types of matters:
- Corporate Finance
- Listing of securities
- Pre-listing investment advisory
- Post-listing and continuing listing obligations
- Corporate actions for companies listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange
- Private equity and venture capital
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Structuring of mergers and acquisitions transactions
- Acquisitions and disposals for listed and unlisted companies
- Joint venture arrangements
- Sale and purchase of businesses and assets
- Banking and Finance
- Project financing
- Structuring of finance transactions and drafting of finance documentation
- Domestic and cross-border syndicated and bilateral lending transactions
- Asset securitisation
- Restructuring of loans
- General Corporate and Commercial
- Shareholders and partnership agreements
- Convertible loan and investment agreements
- Intellectual property
- Franchising and licenses arrangements
- Distributorship arrangements
- Tenancy and lease
- Amendments to constitutions
- Corporate restructurings and amalgamations
- Advisory on various aspect of regulatory compliance
- Employment and Compensation
- Drafting of employment contracts and compensation schemes
- Drafting of employee manuals, handbooks, rights and obligations and confidentiality policies
- Advising on human resource and employment compliance matters
- Application of residency and work passes
- Advising on all legal matters relating to expatriate relocation
- Advising and drafting of all restraint of trade, non-compete and confidentiality clauses
- Corporate Secretarial
- Incorporation of Singapore companies
- Registration of partnerships and limited liability partnerships
- Setting up branch and representative offices
- Incorporation of offshore entities including British Virgins Islands and Cayman Islands structures
- Corporate compliance and governance
- Provision of registered offices
- Conduct of due diligence and company information searches
- Provision of company secretary
- Provision of nominee services
- Share registration and transfer
- Maintenance of statutory records and compliance
- Employment and Dependent Pass application
- Company winding-up
- Work Pass and Permanent Residency applications
Lawyers: Engelin Teh, Mark Yeo, Markus Poh, Mark Toh
MEDICAL MALPRACTICE / NEGLIGENCE
Be it a misdiagnosis of a medical condition, a negligent medical advice or any form of medical malpractice, our lawyers at Engelin Teh Practice LLC have the expertise and experience to provide you with the necessary advice to ensure that your interests are adequately protected.
We are one of the leading medical negligence law firms in Singapore and have over the years represented numerous aggrieved clients in high profile cases against public hospitals. We understand that being involved in a medical legal dispute can be very taxing and draining, especially when you are up against public institutions. However, rest assured our lawyers are well experienced to manage your case and will endeavour to obtain a fair outcome for you.
Lawyers: Engelin Teh, Thomas Sim, Jenson Lee Xiancong
ETP LLC has an active real estate practice, acting for developers and statutory authorities. Our team is experienced in the following areas:
- acquisitions and dispositions of real property
- secured lending transactions involving real property security
- financing, acquisitions, construction and development of commercial and residential real estate properties
- tenancies and leases of residential, commercial and industrial properties
- rent-controlled premises and tenants' compensation
- conservation projects
- tenders of land for development
- development projects and en bloc redevelopment
We also assist in the documentation for the acquisition and financing of real property outside of Singapore.
Lawyers: Engelin Teh, Juwairiyah Binte Yasin, Michael Seow, Joan Chua
Senior Counsel Engelin Teh
Our Areas of Practice include:
- Cargo Claims
- Conveyancing and Real Estate
- Crime & Commercial Crime
- Directors' & Officers' Liability
- Employment Matters
- Estates, Trusts and Probate
- Foreign Investment
- Health Care
- Immigration Matters
- Information Technology
- Intellectual Property
- International Financing/Banking
- International Trade
- Joint Ventures
- Land Use
- Litigation, Arbitration & Mediation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Personal Injury
- Public/Private Listing
Engelin Teh, SC was admitted to the Singapore Bar in 1979 after graduating from the University of Singapore with Honours. She was appointed Senior Counsel on 10 January 1998 and was admitted to the roll of solicitors of England and Wales since 16 October 2008.
With a wealth of experience of more than 3 decades in complex commercial litigation and arbitration, Engelin has acted as counsel in numerous cases, spanning a wide spectrum of areas including banking and finance, company law, corporate and partnership disputes, real estate, commodities, corporate fraud, equity and trust, employment and executive compensation, insolvency, intellectual property, administrative law, landlord and tenancy, professional negligence, insurance and family law.
Having an active practice in international arbitration, Engelin has presided both as sole arbitrator and as part of a tribunal in both domestic and international arbitrations under the rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre and the International Chamber of Commerce. She has also represented clients as counsel in various domestic and international commercial arbitrations.
In the last decade, mediation has become a passion for Engelin who had set about acquiring the necessary skill set and experience. Her mediation qualifications are set out below. Given her vast and varied litigation experience, Engelin is well equipped as a mediator to assist parties to work through complex situations and navigate differences to achieve effective solutions. Being a mediator on the Singapore Mediation Centre ('SMC') Principal Panel of Mediators and its Family Panel of Mediators, Engelin has mediated several cases referred by SMC and has successfully brought about settlement between parties in many of these cases. Engelin is also on the Panel of Mediators for the Centre for Dispute Resolution (State Courts) and the Family Dispute Resolution Registry (Family Justice Courts).
As a member of the Inquiry Panel of the Singapore Law Society, Engelin has sat on inquiry committees, both as member and chairman, in relation to complaints against lawyers. Engelin also sits on the Disciplinary Tribunal Panel of Presidents and serves as a member of the Family Law Practice Committee of the Singapore Law Society and the Professional Development Committee of the Singapore Institute of Directors.
As part of providing service to clients, Engelin has conducted various seminars and in-house training programmes on corporate and commercial litigation and also on family and matrimonial law and practice.
Arbitrator Professional Affiliations
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (SIArb)
- Panel of Arbitrators, SIArb
- Panel of Arbitrators, Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
- Panel of Arbitrators, International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Panel of Arbitrators, Law Society Arbitration Scheme
- Panel of Arbitrators, Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA)
- International Panel of Arbitrators, Indian Institute of Arbitration & Mediation (IIAM)
- Recommended International Arbitrator, Pacific International Arbitration Center (PIAC), Vietnam
Mediator Professional Affiliations
- Certified Mediator, Singapore International Mediation Institute (SIMI)
- Accredited Mediator, Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR)
- Accredited Mediator, Regent’s University London
- Accredited Mediator, Centre for Dispute Resolution, State Courts of Singapore
- Accredited Mediator, Family Justice Courts, Singapore (FJC)
- Senior Mediator, Panel of Mediators for the Law Society Mediation Scheme
- Panel of Mediators (Principal Mediator), Singapore Mediation Centre (SMC)
- Family Panel of Mediators, SMC
- Panel of Mediators, Singapore International Mediation Centre (SIMC)
- International Panel of Mediators, IIAM
- Panel of Mediators, China Council for the Promotion of International Trade/China Chamber of International Commerce Mediation Centre
- Member, Dispute Resolution & Compensation Panel (Mediation Panel) of the National Electricity Market of Singapore
- Panel of Collaborative Family Practice (CFP) Lawyers, SMC
Other Professional Affiliations
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Directors
- Fellow, International Academy of Family Lawyers
- Member, Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Member, Association of Criminal Lawyers of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Association of Women Lawyers
- Member, Inquiry Panel of The Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Family Law Practice Committee, The Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Parenting Coordination Working Committee, FJC
- Member, International Women’s Forum (Singapore)
Arbitration & Mediation Training
- Advanced Arbitrator Training Course by SIAC/Asia & Pacific Center of the American Arbitration Association/SIArb
- ICC Institute MasterClass for Arbitrators
- 'Managing Conflicts & Resolving Disputes Effectively through Mediation' by SMC
- Mediator Skills Training by CEDR
- Advanced Mediation Techniques & Mediation Advocacy by SMC
- Family Mediation Training Workshop by Child-Focused Resolution Centre, FJC
- Collaborative Family Practice Module 2 Workshop by SMC
- Advanced Mediation Techniques & Mediation Advocacy by SMC
- 'Mediating the Litigation Case' by Pepperdine School of Law, Straus Institute of Dispute Resolution
- 'Mediation - A Psychotherapeutic Approach' by Regent’s University, London
- Global Pound Conference by International Mediation Institute
- Parenting Coordination Training Programme by The Law Society of Singapore & FJC
- Child Representative Workshop by FJC
JUWAIRIYAH BINTE YASIN
Ms Juwairiyah Yasin graduated with LL.B (Hons) degree from the National University of Singapore and was called to the Singapore Bar in 1986.
Before entering the legal profession, she worked in the public service at the Registry of Trade Mark & Patents and later at the Official Assignee & Public Trustee for a period of 5 years.
She has substantial experience in Conveyancing and Property law, Landlord and Tenant law and general solicitors work, which includes:
- Sale and purchase of residential and commercial properties, JTC/HDB properties and project development;
- Preparing mortgage and loan documentation for major banks and financial institutions in Singapore such as UOB, DBS, OCBC, Maybank, HSBC and Hong Leong Finance;
- Lease of residential and commercial properties; and
- Drafting of wills.
MICHAEL T T SEOW
Mr Michael T T Seow was called to the Bar in February 1985 after graduating with an Honours degree in Law. He has more than 30 years of experience in the areas of Conveyancing and Property Law, Landlord and Tenant Law and general solicitor's work which includes:
- conveyancing, including sale and purchase of commercial, residential, JTC/HDB properties and en bloc sales, syndicated loans and corporate financing;
- drafting and reviewing of mortgage and other loan documentation;
- drafting and reviewing Lease Agreements, Agreement for Leases, Licences including updating and amending clauses, negotiations with the tenants and landlords, drafting and reviewing Deeds of Novation and Surrender, Directors' guarantees for the observation of terms of lease agreements;
- drafting Distribution Agreements;
- general Corporate and commercial work including drafting and reviewing franchising agreements, joint venture agreements, licensing distributorship and suppliers' agreements; drafting and reviewing employment contracts and employment bonds; and drafting and reviewing sale and purchase agreements for sale of company, sale of assets.
JOAN CHUA YAK HOON
Joan Chua graduated with an Honours degree in law from University of London and was called to the English Bar as a Barrister in 1991. She was subsequently called to the Singapore Bar in June 1992. She has been in legal practice for more than 20 years and has extensive experience in corporate real estate and conveyancing, corporate and commercial law, banking, landlord and tenant and general solicitors' work which include the following:
- Acting for banks, financial institutions and borrowers on land-related financing, project development finance, trade financing, equipment financing, term and revolving credit facilities, loans to small and medium sized enterprises, consumer finance transactions;
- Advising clients on corporate matters, shareholders' rights, directors' duties, provisions in the Companies Act relating to disposal of property and assets, loans to directors, financial assistance for acquisition of shares, reduction of share capital, acquisitions and disposal of shares in private companies, joint venture arrangements (including joint ventures involving property development), shareholders' agreements, franchise agreements, distribution and agency agreements and other commercial contracts.
- Advising clients in the sale and purchase (whether by private treaty, auction or tender) of residential, commercial and industrial properties (including URA, JTC and HDB lands);
- Advising clients, developers and financial institutions on enbloc sale, purchase and financing of developments, termination of existing strata subdivision and winding up of management corporations;
- Advising developers on development of industrial, commercial and residential projects for sale, Housing Developers Rules, Project Account Rules, Sale of Commercial Properties Rules, amalgamation and subdivision of lands, separate certificates of title/strata title application;
- Advising banks and financial institutions on mortgagee sale of properties;
- Advising clients in the acquisition of hotels and leisure developments (including marina clubs);
- Advising buyers, sellers and banks/finance companies on sale and purchase, financing and refinancing of HDB flats; and
- Advising landlords and tenants on leases of commercial, industrial and residential buildings and units.
Some of the projects handled by Joan previously include:
- Acted for developers in the sale of residential units in developers' projects - Callidora Ville, East Coast Residences, Villa La Vue, Bellezza @ Katong, Suites Twenty Two, EiS Residences;
- Acted in the purchase and subsequent sale of hotel building (formerly known as Changi Hotel);
- Acted in enbloc sale of New Gardens;
- Acted in enbloc purchase of Peony Mansion and Goodwill Mansion
- Acted in the sale of HDB industrial premises in Kung Chong Road/Chang Charn Road for S$22.3 million;
- Acted in purchase of buildings known as EtonHouse, The Office Chamber, Joo Chiat Hotel, buildings at 18 to 34 Belilos Lane, Singapore approved for use as hotel;
- Acted in purchase of lands developed as 'Value Hotel Balestier', 'Value Hotel Thomson', 'Value Hotel Nice' and 'Hotel 81 Osaka';
- Acted in purchase by tender and financing of land developed as 'V Hotel';
- Acted for Forward Land Pte Ltd in its purchase by tender of URA land at Victoria St/Jalan Sultan and developed as 'Hotel Boss' - S$331,336,000;
- Acted in enbloc purchase of Ultra Mansion - S$149,130,000;
- Acted in purchase of building known as BS Bendemeer Centre;
- Acted in purchase of shares in a company which owns a retail and office building in Singapore - acquisition cost - S$336,000.000;
- Acted in sale of shares in a company which owns a retail and office building in Singapore (Sale Price - S$342 million); and
- Acted in numerous transactions relating to the sale and takeover of companies which own properties.
Current Matters include:
- Acting for developer in the sale of residential development known as '6 Derbyshire' (total: 168 units) including deferred payment scheme;
- Leasing of commercial units in the retail malls of V Hotel, Hotel Boss, of industrial units in the buildings known as Lam Soon Industrial Building, BS Bendemeer Centre and Carros Centre; and
- Acting in acquisition of company which owns a marina development.
In 1996, with several years of experience after leaving the NUS Law School, Vijay started his own practice, as V K Rai & Partners with the vision, mission and commitment of rendering honest and quality legal services. He then re-branded his practice as Arbiters Inc. Law Corporation where he practiced for almost a decade before joining Engelin Teh Practice LLC.
With the aim of meeting clients' expectations in quality, timing and cost-effectiveness he has always strived for the highest ethical and professional standards.
Vijay Kumar Rai specializes in Litigation, Arbitration and other Dispute Resolution techniques in all areas including:
- Insurance Claims;
- Industrial and Employment;
- Family Law;
- Construction, Infrastructure Development, Property and Real Estate;
- Corporate; and
- Probates, Wills and Trusts.
His clientele has included:
- Associate law firms, regional offices and corporations throughout Singapore and the rest of the world, in need of representation;
- Blue Chip Companies;
- Local and Foreign government agencies and government-linked companies;
- Local and Foreign Statutory Boards;
- High Net-Worth Individuals; and
- Individuals who have a good case for legal redress.
Some of the higher profile cases he has handled which are reported are:
- Public Prosecutor v Tan Eng Heong  SGDC 303
- Mohamed Amin bin Mohamed Taib and others v Lim Choon Thye and others  SGHC 341
- Mohamed Amin bin Mohamed Taib and Others v Lim Choon Thye and Others [STB No 89 of 2007 - 18th April 2009]
- Yu Eng Chin v Public Prosecutor  SGHC 57
- Mohamed Amin bin Mohamed Taib and Others v Lim Choon Thye and Others  SGHC 216
- Mohamed Amin bin Mohamed Taib and Others v Lim Choon Thye and Others  SGHC 48
- Bhoj Bahadur Sunuwar v Teo Kwang Ang (unreported) GD (20th Jan 2009)
- Belinda Lee Choon Cheng (Belinda Li Junqian) trading as Tradelink Euroauto v Asia Rattan Trading Company (Private) Limited  SGMC 14
- Hogberg Fred Rickard Robin William v Singapore Polo Club and Another  SGDC 265
- JU and Another v See Tho Kai Yin  4 SLR 96;  SGHC 140
- Johnson Pacific Pte Ltd v Hogberg Fred Rickard Robin William and Others  4 SLR 200
- Cheong Ghim Fah and Another v Murugian s/o Rangasamy (No 2)  3 SLR 193
- Cheong Ghim Fah and Another v Murugian s/o Rangasamy  1 SLR 628
- Manik Thanwardas Binwani v Tulsidas Udharam Binwani and Another  SGHC 100
- Kalutara Achriage Dharshani Chrishanthi Herbert v P L B Sarath Manukularatne  SGDC 78
- Tan Seow Cheng v Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp Ltd  SGHC 30
- Tan Bin Yong Christopher v Ng Lay Mui (m.w.) and Another Case  SGDC 183
- Tan Bin Yong Christopher v Ng Lay Mui (m.w.) and Other Cases  SGDC 306
- Public Prosecutor v Lee Tuck Hong  SGDC 47
- Hui Cheng Wan Agnes v Nippon SP Tech (S) Pte Ltd  SGHC 208
- Wong Pit Mei v Sim Yok Chin  SGDC 63
- Attorney General v Phang Fook Seng  3 SLR 641;  SGCA 50
- SAL Industrial Leasing Ltd v Lin Hwee Guan  3 SLR 482;  SGCA 44
- Ng Kong Teck v Sia Kiok Kok and Another  1 SLR 296;  SGHC 164
- Geetha d/o Mundri v Arivananthan s/o Retnam  2 SLR 422;  SGHC 340
He is also a Notary Public and a Commissioner of Oaths.
Rafflesians may remember Vijay fondly for his various roles in Raffles Players and also as a debater in the 1981 National Televised inter-school Debate Series whose team emerged victorious.
Off-line, Vijay's passions are humor and vegetarianism. He is an aspiring vegan and has had the good fortune of associating with many notable vegetarians worldwide.
Mr Thomas Sim is a Director in the Litigation Department. The main portfolio of his practice is in the areas of litigation and pre-litigation advice, including:
- commercial and corporate litigation;
- banking litigation;
- shareholders' disputes;
- breach of directors' duties;
- employment disputes;
- tenancy disputes;
- defamation; and
- professional negligence.
He also advises on pre-litigation courses of action and pre-emptive remedies, including all forms of prohibitive and mandatory injunctions.
Thomas has also been involved in a number of international arbitration matters between major corporations relating to commercial disputes on Joint Venture Agreements, Shareholders' Agreements and others.
Thomas graduated in 1997 from the National University of Singapore with an LL.B (Hons) and was admitted to the Singapore Bar in 1998.
Mr Mark Yeo studied at Raffles Institution and Raffles Junior College. As a student, Mark was a competitive squash player, representing both school and country at various local and international junior tournaments. At the national level, Mark was crowned the individual champion in the under-14 and under-16 categories and was ranked amongst the top 5 in the Under-19 category.
Mark served his National Service with the 46th Singapore Armour Regiment as a sergeant in an armoured infantry company and is now a platoon sergeant in his reservist unit. After completing his National Service in 1996, Mark read law in the National University of Singapore. In 2000, he graduated from the National University of Singapore with a LL.B (Hons. - 2nd Upper Class). He commenced pupilage with us in June 2000 and thereafter served as a legal associate when he was admitted to the Singapore Bar on 2 June 2001. In April 2005, Mark was made an Associate Director. He was made a Director in January 2013.
Since joining us, Mark has been involved in a wide range of civil and commercial litigation matters that include contractual claims, landlord & tenancy disputes, strata titles disputes, mortgagee claims, building contract claims, defamation, hire-purchase and leasing claims, debt recovery, medical negligence claims, insurance related claims and disputes, real property disputes, employment disputes, banking matters, cross-border disputes and administration claims.
Ms Linda Ong read law in the National University of Singapore. In 2001, she graduated from the National University of Singapore with a LL.B (Hons. - 2nd Upper Class). She commenced pupilage with us in June 2001 and thereafter served as a legal associate when she was admitted to the Singapore Bar in May 2002. In July 2006, Linda was made an Associate Director and was made a Director in January 2013.
Since joining us, Linda has been involved in a wide range of civil and commercial litigation matters that includes:
- family law;
- contractual claims;
- landlord & tenancy disputes;
- strata titles disputes;
- hire-purchase and leasing claims;
- debt recovery;
- real property disputes;
- employment disputes;
- probate matters;
- intellectual property rights; and
- insolvency matters.
LEE XIANCONG JENSON
Mr Jenson Lee graduated from the University of Leicester in 2007 with a LL.B (Hons. - 2nd Upper Class) and completed his Graduate Diploma in Singapore Law at the National University of Singapore in 2008. He attended his pupilage at Allen & Gledhill LLP and was called to the Singapore Bar in 2009. After being admitted to the Singapore Bar, Jenson served as a legal associate at Engelin Teh Practice LLC and was made a Director in 2013.
Since joining us, Jenson has been involved in a wide range of civil, criminal and commercial litigation matters. The main portfolio of Jenson's practice is in the areas of litigation and pre-litigation advice, and he has dealt with matters pertaining to:
- commercial and corporate litigation;
- banking litigation;
- criminal law;
- debt recovery;
- contractual claims;
- commercial fraud claims;
- family law;
- shareholders' disputes;
- employment disputes;
- trademark and copyright matters;
- landlord and tenant disputes;
- personal injuries;
- defamation; and
- drafting of wills, extracting grant of probate and letters of administration matters.
Jenson is also a member of the Law Awareness Committee of the Singapore Law Society which aims to raise awareness of the law to the general public.